Monday, June 13, 2005

Postcards from the Edge Episode XI Part VII

Just a mish-mash of thoughts today….

Now about this aurora borealis… the season for watching them is actually the winter time (I mean, really, with all this sunlight in the summer time, there’s no way you can actually see the Northern Lights). Apparently Yellowknife is overrun with Japanese and other Asian tourists every winter who go out into the countryside to watch the Northern Lights all night long. There are tons of stores here selling touristy knick-knacks, and galleries that sell some pretty stunning photographs of the Yellowknife skies. There’s even “Aurora Village” where you can go eat caribou and muskox, watch Aboriginal dancing, and then sleep under the Northern Lights (geesh! How touristy!). What people here tell me is that in Japanese (and other Asian cultures, I’m guessing, since they come here too) culture, it is extremely lucky to be conceived under the Northern Lights, hence a rather popular destination for young couples.

On Tuesday was not only the Summer Solstice (the longest day of the year, which, admittedly, here, you couldn’t really tell that there was that much of a difference), but also National Aboriginal Day. I was told a small itty-bitty parade happened in Toronto, but here in NWT, it’s actually a holiday. There were many celebrations and artists performing that day. We had a fish-fry (yum!), and there was a big ceremony honouring Aboriginal veterans (since this year is also the Year of the Veteran). I was busy helping sell jewellery with some girls that I met at one of the churches out here, while being on call at the same time. So a really nice day out. This whole week is the Summer Solstice Festival up here in Yellowknife, so lots of performers and vendors on the streets. Tomorrow night is the Raven Mad Daze, an all night street festival, but I’m on obstetrical call, so hopefully, if no babies are being born that night, I’ll be able to hang out.

Crack cocaine is a huge problem here. I have honestly seen more users here than I ever did in Toronto. My emerg shifts usually produces at least one user coming because they’re in withdrawal, or needing something to carry them over till their next hit. Crystal meth is also coming, as it is in Ontario too. I have delivered a bunch of crack babies already (as well as the tons of babies affected by alcohol), which just makes me angry, more than anything. The nursery, that I’m running this week, has four babies in it, most premature, half on crack, all on alcohol. Absolutely maddening. How are children expected to achieve if they’re already at a huge disadvantage from the get go?
julia