Saturday, August 19, 2006

East or West, left or right?

I think musing on the diversity of the 'faith spectrum' has taken up my thoughts of late. I often wonder how Jesus did it. Besides the fact that He's God and could see in to the heart of man and know what he thinks. And the fact that He's omniscient and omnipotent. And that He's God. I think if I had X-ray vision like that, instead of seeing life in all its glorious messiness, it might just be incredibly despairing. But I digress.
Where are our lines drawn? Is it right to draw them? Is that Biblical? Certainly, lines drawn in indelible ink cannot be so. However, lines in the sand, that shift and change to acquiesce to everyone, in the hopes that each has some of the 'Truth' in them, that also cannot be so. The road is straight and narrow. I don't think it is easy, with paved asphalt and good signage, but I don't think it is also so obscured that anybody and everybody has some sort of toe-hold on it. I sometimes worry that in the West, in our good-hearted desire to love everyone in grace and mercy, we forget that our God is also a God of righteousness and holiness. Do we then become agents of God's wrath on others when we don't clarify and teach others about God? How will we stand in front of Him if we lead others to think that they are merrily skipping down the same road as we?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia,

Thanks for the link to your blog! About "lines drawn in indelible ink"... don't you think there are some pretty permanent ones drawn in the Bible?

Anonymous said...

Very relevent thoughts, Julia. It is more likely that everyone is wrong than everyone is right. At the same time, you cannot say that something is unknowable unless you know enough about it to know that it is unknowable. But if you know that it is knowable, and if you know how to get more familiar with it, then you have a responsibility to help others to know it too (of which we sadly do a cowardly job).

I think your right to suspect someone with "Jesus eyes" would feel despair as he looked at people who were heading another way. I suspect it might be something like the fear of never seeing people you liked again.