Monday, January 01, 2007

Australia II

My bad: it's actually just the state of Queensland that doesn't agree with DST, out of sheer concern for cows, not the whole country.
Also, for those of you who are concerned: I did DRIVE by Steve Irwin's zoo, but we didn't actually go in. Also, FYI, his daughter Bindi, who is now eight years old (you remember her, she's the baby that was dangled in front of the croc a few years ago), now is hosting her own jungle show on TV. In fact, in today's paper, there's a contest where you win a day with her at the Crocodile Hunter's Zoo... I dunno, something just doesn't sit right with me, seeing as her dad died less than five months ago...
At any rate, I was going to say that one of my new favorite animals is the wombat. It's terribly cute. It's one of the very few animals that won't kill/eat/bite/poison you here (in fact, it's quite cuddly looking). I've been warned not to get into knee-deep water, because sharks can still get you there. Then I was warned not to go into ankle deep water, because there are certain poisonous octopi that can still sting you at that depth. Then I was warned not to step in the water, because I could slip and fall... then I was told to make sure that I was making enough noise WALKING so that snakes could get out of the way... oh, for crying out loud... at this rate, I likely won't get very far, or will die trying...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked Steve Irwin, but it's no secret that he was more than a bit disconnected from the danger he put himself in. It was most evident in how he put his wife and daughter in some of those same situations. It kind of bothers me too, to hear how they're using Bindi so soon on the heels of her father's passing.

Wow, if it's really that dangerous in Australia, it's a wonder how so many people vacation there. The next logical step to their cautions is "don't set foot on Australlian soil". But, like you say, safety is over-rated anyways.