Sunday, November 15, 2009

New York II

America is an interesting place. Admittedly, it's a very easy thing, to point out the weaknesses in American society and in its culture. It is sometimes hard to remember that America still represents, for many peoples and nations, freedom and liberty.
I think Americans sometimes forget the critically important role that they play in the world as well.
The clash of all sorts of inconsistencies and paradoxes in the culture have been flooding me since I've been here. I've driven by one of the jumbo multiplex superjails, 2km in length as we drove, high barbed wire fences and jail towers... it actually gave me a physical chill up my spine, as it reminded me of concentration camps that I had seen in Germany. Knowing that America holds the highest incarceration rate in the Western world only solidified that queasy sensation that I had. I also spent some time with NFL alumni (yes, yes I did) at the New York Jets training centre (yeah, don't ask me, it's kind of obscure), some of whom had won Super Bowls and had the rings to prove it. The sheer opulence and wealth and just plain old stuff available here is plainly enormous. One thing that people have been pointing out to me here is that doctors can have special license plates so that they are allowed to park wherever they want - looking at the vehicles that they were all driving also made me want to vomit, and made me embarrassed to be a physician.
But then, spending time worshipping for 3 1/2 hours at a Harlem church was incredibly moving. Watching at how much effort the people put into looking their very best for God in His house, the music, the testimonies given and the sheer amount of PRAISE they had for God and His glory was enough to make me tear up several times. Seeing the reality of Redeemer Church and Tim Keller's heart for the City that Never Sleeps gave me food for thought as well.
Yes, the juxtaposition of America: the wealth and the grinding poverty, the worship of God and the worship of money.
Yet, the Americans I've spoken to are mainly protectionist, Republican, conservative and capitalistic - the complete stereotypes one expects from American Christians. Trying to talk to people as to why it just might be biblically wrong to let the poor and the neglected to die because they cannot access health care, or why, perhaps, when America had a chance to truly 'turn the other cheek' when 9/11 happened, allowing the chance to change the destiny of our current world order, allowing the chance to forgive rather than seek vengeance, I've been told that political policy and Christian morality are separate. I've been told that forgiveness in the case of 9/11 was not a viable option, that a religious war was inevitable.
That frightens me. The Land of Opportunity closing itself from almost everyone in the world, fighting "enemies" that exist around every corner, its inability to look at the logs in its own eye, I think, will write its own destiny. My brothers and sisters who can hear a sermon about forgiveness, and the need to die to self to bring life to others, and then can turn around and not be able to see some of the contributions that they have made to cause the increased animosity towards America frightens me extremely...

1 comment:

Q said...

Republican, Reformed, Presbyterian, capitalist, ... SURELY there are Americans who describe themselves by other labels.

Maybe you're leaving something for next time?