Sunday, April 29, 2012

Swtizerland Part II Episode II

Though I've had a massive monkey on my back that just-won't-get-off over the past few weeks, it's been fascinating being here at the UN. Oh, for sure, the amount of sheer bureaucracy is enough to make one weep. However, the ideas that are enshrined by its very existence are hopeful, and heaven knows, humanity can use some hope. The idea that perhaps we actually can find a forum to cooperate, despite our differences, in order to make things better for all of humanity is beautiful, though practically hard to do.
Discourses on the right to health have also been encouraging, though I know it is very difficult for Westerners to understand, agree with, and particularly, to endorse. Getting my mind blown at the occasional talk I make it out to is also really great.
The work itself? Kind of slow and tedious, but at least I can see the purpose and usefulness of it. Besides, what else are interns for, but to do the slow and tedious work? I'm OK with that. Besides, the tedium helps while away the hours before I can return home. Home being where the heart rests, after all.

No comments: