Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Postcards from the Edge Episode IX Part IV

Ireland is very green. Apparently it's known as the land of "60 shades of green". No kidding. You can easily get green fatigue out here... :P Too much nature... Too beautiful all of the time... too much blue sky and green grass and trees... too much Irish dancing and Guiness and whiskey...
Now, of course, the most obvious thing I would do once I personally got to Ireland is do my little U2 pilgrimage... did my homage to the various studios that they've recorded in, visited sites that they've recorded videos in, seen old places that they've played in, signed various walls and locales to prove that I was there... even visited a pub that Bono hangs out in when he gets the chance... Of course, no one else was even remotely interested in coming along with me (what??? Why not??)... :P Didn't meet any of the men themselves (yet! Can you possibly imagine???? That would be superfragilistically wonderful!), but we still have several days to go... I even went to visit Larry Mullen Jr's childhood home!!! Whoo hoo!!! OK, I know for absolutely every one of you, this is totally not interesting, but, as you well know, this is a BIG DEAL for me :) Big like discovering the cure of cancer... no, OK, more like Big like... uh... actually, I can't really think of any parallel... Big like winning the lottery? Becoming PM? (Can someone please tell me who won the election?)
I've been landscaping the grounds of a castle in the Irish countryside for the past few days, earning my keep for my accomodation... now that is neat-o stuff... mainly raking and weeding so far, but hopefully will get into some trimming and pruning.... actually it's been quite exciting to look at the potential of these grounds for true beautification... I'm proposing returning next year to do some more gardening work... does anyone else want to come on a working holiday to Ireland next year? I think it's a great opportunity to travel and see Ireland with free accomodation... if you think you'd be interested, let me know! We'll talk! It's this lovely castle an hour out of Dublin in the country with grounds that could really use some grunt work... I'll take pics to show people who're interested in coming to garden for a bit, and then travel for the rest... :)
julia

No comments: