Friday, August 19, 2005

Postcards from the Edge Episode XI Part X

I’m heading home really soon, so there’s not that much to report: I’m working loads, trying to eat as much fish as I can before I go back and trying to visit people on their houseboats or in their homes before I skedaddle out of town. BUT, I wanted to share my new favorite joke: Did you hear about the Inuk who was told to move to Toronto? He would have Nunavut… har har har! OK, even people up here groaned when they heard the joke….
So one of the more curious things I’ve noted since I’ve been up here is my exposure to skills that have little to nothing to do with my work. I’ve learned how to scrapbook, make jewellery, run a day-care and home-school my children while I’ve been up here. Strange set of skills, but perhaps handy in a pinch. I think. Maybe. Not particularly useful if my car runs down, or my pants need hemming, but skills nonetheless…
One thing that struck me walking on the way to work this morning, and, I know I’ve written about this before when I was in Iqaluit, but ravens are very huge birds… they are the size of car tires! And they ‘caw caw’, like our blackbirds do, but it’s an ominous sounding cry… It’s almost kind of scary walking by them on the sidewalks, cause they really do look like they could fly up and gobble up your eyeballs… Actually, I think they would, given the opportunity… I understand the darkness in the choice of Poe’s The Raven…
I’ve encountered another “questionable intelligence patient” story, but it’s not really a story that I can write about in a family column like this… but certainly, new heights in ‘rolling my eyes’ have been achieved… If you’re interested in being grossed out or sickened, you can write, but otherwise, I guess you can just leave it to the imagination…
I’m heading home in the next two weeks, so I suspect I shall see a few of you in the next little while. Love you all!
julia

No comments: