Monday, August 29, 2005

Postcards from the Edge Episode XI Part XI

I didn’t really expect to write another one of these before I left the territory, but a few more interesting notes, and another corny joke:
What do you call a half order of bison? Unison! Har har har… groan…

At any rate, I’ve had the privilege of taking care of the Anglican bishop of the Arctic in the hospital last week. This is important as he was, and still is, very respected by the Inuit people, as he was sent here from England over fifty years ago, where he has spent his entire adult life, working in the North. Indeed, he’s written his memoirs in a rather well-known book (well, well-known for modern Inuit culture etc at any rate) published several years ago called “Igloo Dwellers Were My Church”, which he and his family gifted to me for taking care of him in hospital. I’m now busily reading it, as it also records how life has changed in the North since the 1950s… at any rate, I’ve just been struck with this gentleman and his legendary exploits in the North when he was younger, including dogsledding (!) over 4500km (!) every year (!) through the Arctic to visit his parishioners and translating the Bible into Inuinaktun single-handedly…
Furthermore, the last few days have been windy and very very rainy up here, flooding the gutters and sidewalks… it just kind of reminded me of Katrina, bearing down on the southern US, though not nearly similar in its ferocity or damage…
Now that’s really it… heading home in five days now…
julia

No comments: