Thursday, February 01, 2007

Australia VII

So, a few more observations:
1. There are a heck of a lot of Germans in this country; most days it feels like half the country is here. They think so too...
2. One of the great things here is that the price that is listed is the price that you pay: all taxes, tip, etc are included in the price. This works well in that you don't have to calculate an extra 30% onto your resto meals. It's also great in that they actually pay waitstaff a decent wage (starting at about $15/hr), so they aren't dependent on tips to actually make a living.... sounds like an ideal world...
3. There's a, I'm not sure how to say it, not really an undercurrent, but more of a 'whisper in the woodwork' of racism in Australian society, I feel. I know, now people are going to get all over me about how judgemental I am. I think there are societal and cultural reasons why this is so. I am certainly not saying that Canadians are non-racist in comparison, but there is certainly more of an undertone here... I will likely end up mulling about this some more, and I think it would be hard to explain... perhaps the language, in naming their Aboriginal peoples the 'blacks', or how hard one group in Australia is trying to deport Sudanese refugees back to Darfur because they bring violence and diseases here (?), or how blokes will just say things to you that make you go 'hunh???'.... anyways, all very subtle, which is why I can't say it's overt, perhaps just a small subconscious undercurrent.... maybe I need to think about this some more...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey there!

Sorry I'm responding to this late...

I sensed the same thing when I was down under. :( except the family I stayed with weren't subtle about it at all.

The mom just looked at the south asian gal with me, and stuck us in a room on our own, with the white girl sharing a room with her daughter. Then they commented on 'the jap' jaywalking, and asked how to tell the difference between a Japanese and a Chinese person. I told them I couldn't tell them apart. :|

The Japanese occupied the northern part of Australia, so that definitely impacts their view of Japanese. The rest is history!