Monday, November 10, 2008

Oh, unionized civil servants are useless!

There's a bunch of happier things to write about, but I am going to speak at how useless our government service representatives are, in BOTH official languages.
I am trying to access a government website in order to pay my taxes. You would figure the government would be interested in such things, as that helps fund their very useless civil servants. However, while trying to access it, the site tells me that my browser in not supported for this function. So, I try another browser: again, I am prevented from accessing the government website.
Confused, I call Revenue Canada. The guy who answers tells me that only IE and Netscape are browsers capable of supporting this particular tax site. Excuse me??? I say, but you should very well know that NOBODY has used Netscape, since, oh, 1994!!!! Furthermore, I point out, it biased in favour of the PC users as Mac users (like myself) would not use IE for Mac if it was the last browser on earth.
The guy says, well, that's just the way that it is. I ask, Is Revenue Canada planning on catching up with the 21st century and use browsers that most people are using now? He says, no. I ask, well, how do you expect me to pay my taxes online if you don't use browsers that are supported by many people? He says, well, maybe you need to rethink what kind of computer you have.
Suffice it to say, that nobody knows who I need to complain to in order to have them consider upgrading the browser servers. But I suppose that just goes to show that industries like the public sector that have no reason or motivation to actually help people, can do so with impunity...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm stunned that the guy told you to reconsider what kind of computer you have!

While I think it's dumb they only support the IE browser and not Safari or Mozilla as well, if that is the choice they've made, it's not a simple matter for them to make it compatible with the other oens. Every page may be affected, and so the cost to add compatibility could thus be very high.

Not saying you're wrong to complain about their lack of service, but there's probably not much that can be done for you over the phone or in any short time frame.

Is there anyone else who could let you use their PC to do your taxes?

Anonymous said...

Well, since I'm actually a web developer, the government really has very little reason to cater to non-IE crowds. They probably hired someone who wasn't smart enough to program the website for other browsers.

You'll have to take my word for it on how absolutely retarded it is to make a complex webpage work for IE and everything else.

Anyways, if you use Firefox, you can make Firefox pretend to be IE, so you can pay your taxes.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Unknown said...

You should call the ombudsman for the govenment!! They totally will look into stupid matters like this and do something about it. Try it. You might as well since the ombudsman is paid by tax dollars too!