Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes, we can

In light of the whole earth, waiting with baited breath, to see who would be the next leader of the "free world", I write on the day after. I think I've found the whole American election process entertaining to watch, extremely long to the point of exhausting, and thankfully finally over. I am glad with the choice that was made, even though it actually will likely be a bit more difficult for Canada, diplomatically-wise, with this administration-elect.
That being said. if I was Obama's mother, I would be really upset. She spent her whole life raising this child, after his African father left the family when he was quite small, raising him, essentially as a white child, and all the attention has gone to his colour and his father's racial background. I am noting that there have been many stories about his father's hometown in Kenya, and how Kenyans have been celebrating, however, I do question that just because he has some Kenyan DNA in him, whether that, in and of itself, makes him "black" or "African-American". However, it seems that his mother's predominant role and culture in his life has taken a massive back seat in the persona that has been created for him. As such, as his mother, I'd be upset that my culture was basically negated in the formation of my child into the man that he became. This would be particularly poignant if the father of my child had basically no role in child-rearing.
At any rate, I suspect, besides many other factors, that one of the main reasons why he won is the illusion of hope that he represents. How he will fulfill that, I am not sure. However, it bemuses me that the whole world is waiting on Obama to be the fulfillment of hope. Our whole planet is hoping that this one man will change the world. I wonder how we have descended into such folly to believe that one mortal man will be able to change the heart of mankind. I myself do not find hope in man, even if he is Barack Obama. A friend of mine put it best when he said that hope is not found in a political campaign, but in an empty tomb. Amen, amen, amen to that.

No comments: