Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Crazy hypocrites...

I was just reading in the G&M today about a former minister in the United church who is on leave of absence due to depression (admittedly, if I was a minister in the United church, I would be depressed about a lot of things, including the direction that the denomination has chosen to go in, and the denomination that I was stuck in). He was writing about his experience of this, in being removed from the pulpit and how he misses the hands-on "spiritual" (my quotations) work.
It brings up the interesting point about mental illness and faith: is mental illness a sign of lack of faith (this, I doubt very much)? Is increasing your faith the means to which to maintain good mental health? Some would argue that if you fall into a depression, then something is ruptured in your relationship with God, and the key is to restore it. Having witnessed this happen to many people over the years, this view makes me angry, by blaming the victim for not being good enough, or not doing good enough for God, to stay healthy.
The comments were also intriguing: Many were saying things along the lines of, well, if your God is so great, why did (s)He let you go into depression? Obviously, your God is not immune from keeping you well to take care of your group (again, my words: I'm quite loath to call United church groupings as congregations).
It's an interesting point: now, I am not saying that that particular denom is at all equivalent to solid Biblical teaching (which it is not). However, it does bring up the point of, "Hey, if your God is so great, why doesn't He bring you down from that cross? Why doesn't He bring Elijah to save you?" The generalized view seems to be that, though the church is also accused of being full of hypocrites, somehow the public is also expecting that God zaps blessings down in perpetuity upon all these hypocrites, and His power is diminished when weakness or failure show up in people.
That doesn't quite make sense to me: Yes, the church is made up entirely of hypocrites, that is without question. We do not do what we say we believe, we do not act consistently with justice and mercy, we are, many times, indistinguishable from the rest of society. I don't think that diminishes the power of God; I think we certainly block His power with our own selfish, scheming ways.
Which, I guess, brings up the issue of Jesus - I would constantly point people back to the personage of Jesus, for He is the centre and purpose of all things. The manifestation of His church in its current form is enough to drive people away screaming, but the fundamental attractiveness and loveliness of Jesus can be the only core that draws people to Himself...

No comments: