Sunday, November 21, 2010

disorientation...

I think the number one reason why I'm getting a bit tired with all my globe-trotting is trying to catch up with everything once I'm back. Being thrown back into work, volunteering, policy, school direction, figuring out an NGO (kind of), as well as all the small detail-y things that happen with life makes it a bit hard to catch your breath!
Case in point: I haven't yet been back for two weeks, and already I've been on call at the hospital, attended a talk by a friend (already blogged about), spoke at another church, sat on a panel for an EFC conference, debriefed with my small group, hosted a dinner party, had a catch up dinner with friends I hadn't seen in over a year (despite living in the same city!), attended two potlucks, let alone be at work! It's tiring.
My to do list is getting smaller, but it's still a bit finicky. I got another thing off my list by "sharing" at my church this morning - if you'd already read the long detailing that I wrote previously about Cape Town, let alone all the stuff I didn't write about, you'd figure it'd be kind of hard to distill some sense of all that chaos (beauty and brokenness all at the same time) into five compressed minutes. I don't think I did that great of a job about it, really. But at least it's done.
Part of my impression that it didn't go over that great is cause very few people asked about it afterwards. So I think it was either very uninteresting, very inaccessible, or very pointless. I can't really figure out which. I think, after the weekend that I've been through, I'm coming to the conclusion that my church will likely never really understand me, which is kind of OK, but not.
It's an even weirder paradox than it was before. Now that I'm one of the "poster children" for the EFC for thinkers of how the Canadian church should move forward in this new millennium, it seems even more disjointed than usual that I feel like nobody "gets" me in my own local family. Throw in another disappointingly strange encounter today, and I'm feeling even more disorientated in where I should be...

1 comment:

K said...

I thought it was well-written, well-delivered, and actually quite moving. Maybe part of the problem is that people don't know *how* to ask/talk about it? I think that would be true for me...