Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Never much longer than 500 words. Maybe 140 characters or less.

I've realized I have a really hard time paying attention for hours at a time, sitting, immobile, at a desk. I've been endeavouring to finish a paper for school, and it's been super-ADD in trying to do so. I sit for about 30 minutes, write one or two sentences, then check Facebook or email, get up, make a cup of tea, think it's probably a good idea to clean the bathroom, and then realize an hour later that I should get back to work. It's been painful.
I'm not sure how much of this is culturally imposed, in this culture of Twitter, status updates and Sesame Street commercial length episodes. I'm not sure how much of this is because, up to this point, brevity and conciseness are virtues in my career. However, it's killing me to talk, at length, about a topic that I find fascinating, but can only say so much before I start repeating myself. To ask me to do a powerpoint presentation, bullet-style, with the three major points to be made, is great. I could orate for hours on a topic, but to ask me to transcribe it all on paper? Bah!

No comments: