Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Postcards from the Edge Episode XI Part XV

You know what's really scary about driving down country roads? Last night was really really rainy, and tonight was really really snowy. Not so bad if you're just staying in, but I've been driving around the area having dinner with various friends who live in other towns around here.... SCARY driving in my little car.... No lights, unless you're driving through a town, or you pass a farmhouse, or another car comes at you.... no street signs, so you pretty much have to know where you're going, or if you don't, at least know several different routes to your destination in case you miss Sideroad 10 or something (which is what I did last night)... but at least the ditches on the sides of the road are small, so you can't do toooo much damage... Tonight was pretty scary, as winds were gusting up to about 60-70 km/hr, and I couldn't see anything except the three or four feet in front of me and most of it was blowing snow; nothing out the back windows, nothing out the sides... One of the main things I was thinking about was: "If I get blown over into a ditch, and I break my arms or lose consciousness so I can't get to my phone, I certainly hope the OPP can call most ppl on my cell phone list to tell them that I'm dead or something".... However, I made it back from both destinations just fine (though driving much less quickly than I usually do).... aaahhh! The snow's sticking to the ground!
On the other hand, I really really like the way ladies in small towns call you "Hon" all the time, like "Oh, hon, that's just 'round the corner and down the street. You think you'll be OK getting there, hon?" or "That'll be $7.62, hon". I like it, it's sweet. At least I'm not being called "ma'am"... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joules,

Definitely get some winter tires. :)

Dave