Sunday, December 02, 2007

Can't quite figure it out....

Now this is likely just flogging a dead horse, but since I've been thinking about this topic for quite a while now, I thought perhaps I'd try to field some feelings about it. Is our goal really to try to pursue with all of our might that which we are passionately called to, or, are we to be dutiful to whatever situation we should find ourselves in? Is there something 'wrong' when situations or circumstances make us desperately unhappy, or, is that simply a manifestation of a temporary 'trial' that we should patiently endure until things change? Are joy and happiness to be our lot, or are pain and suffering supposed to be the sought-after norm? Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a very difficult question. Definitely worthwhile asking, but wow, I'm not sure if you can get a good answer for it.

There are some things I just won't take crap for, and from which I will extricate myself rather quickly. There are other crappy things I will just see through, so that in the end I will be the only one with the right to complain.

Concerning what sounds like a question of vocation, I don't know. If there's at least something in what I do that I like, I will probably try to endure the parts of the job I don't like. There are some non-negotiables though, such as I decided I am not living to work. If my job consistently over-works me, I'd hate it, and I think I'd want to leave that situation. I may only be stalled due to financial concerns, but I don't think I'd be worried about whether God wants me there or not.

I think that feelings are a mode of knowledge that are not always predictable, but are given to you for a reason. If your feelings are that you really hate a job, and not that you are bored with it because you haven't found a way to enjoy it yet, then aside from honouring any formal commitments I don't think you are morally bound to it.

I guess you'll have to let God inform you, but I think your feelings may be a part of that.

Hope that addresses your question. I think I read it right.

Ahmeda said...

Hmmm.. definitely food for thought.. .here is my thought- there is very little that we aren't clear on in our spirits... and when we are still and listen, the quiet voice that speaks is heard..
it just sucks cos the voice of "reason" in our head ( us) is much louder than the voice of "love" in our hearts (God).
So there you have it: what does you heart tell you? you know it already. but your head, it sure has a ton of excuses on why you shouldn't trust your heart doesn't it?