Thursday, November 29, 2007

Border Crossings III

Well, this isn't really a border crossing, but a few last notes:
Jordanian elections occurred, and it seemed that most parliamentarians that were elected were sympathetic and loyal to the king, rather than the Muslim Brotherhood, and other fundamentalist Muslims. Long live the king!
It looks like they -may- have a candidate to stand for president in Lebanon, if Hezbollah and its allies agree. Hopefully this will all work out. Hopefully, conversely, General Suleiman would actually be a good man, not a strongman; this will be hard to know in advance, as he has been an army man all his life.
While driving out to the airport (this is the "border crossings" bit), the cabbie actually took me through a Palestinian refugee camp, and some of the Hezbollah stronghold neighbourhoods in Beirut, that still have noticeable damage due to the bombing by the Israelis. He told me that Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah used to live "above ground" until last year's war, and now his living quarters are under street level. Nice. Frankly, I'd reconsider my ways if I was making many other people so angry that they'd be bombing me regularly, but I guess that's just me... I don't think I'd want to compromise sunshine for my warped ideology....

No comments: