Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Inspiring men

What is funny is who inspires me. This past weekend, I had gone to dinner with people who are all committed to the cause of eradicating child prostitution and trafficking in Cambodia. Sure, we had some good food, and some great desserts, but what thrilled me was the presence of men. Admittedly, I've known these men in this group for a while, but it encourages me in that they are two in number, in a sea of women committed to the cause.
Listening to them speak eloquently of what it means to them, as men, while confronting the causes of human trafficking, of dealing with their own notions of masculine sexuality, makes me admire and respect them all the more. The fact that they speak so boldly to other men, challenging their notion of what it means to "be a man", and encouraging them to face up to their own sexual desires and fears, such that they would also be free to fight on behalf of little girls is quite something to behold.
This ties into a dear friend of mine, who works with college aged students, mainly men, who lamented as to why men think it's cool to be apathetic and not to care. He has been trying to figure out that question in order to inspire his guys to seek the Kingdom, to be passionate, to really live.
I am not sure of the answer to that; I know it's multifactorial, and I certainly have some ideas as to why this is, but watching L and A talk, and seeing their passion for the liberation of thousands of little girls reminds me that though they are rare, men of nobility do indeed still walk amongst us.

No comments: