Monday, December 08, 2008

God with us; us with others?

I think one of the difficulties in the month of December, which happens to also be one of the joys, is the amount of socializing involved in the month. Besides the obvious reason of it being Christmas for this phenomenon to occur, there is the additional imperative in getting people out of their homes in the dark and dreary winter, and spending time in the company of others.
However, there are clearly downsides to all of this: I am already noting the lack of time I have to spend in contemplating the Advent season; every year I say to myself, "Self, it is time to contemplate this season; not necessarily whether we should be celebrating it at all or no, or our practices as to how we do so, but at least the sentiment and the motivations behind our celebrations", but then I don't, as I rush rush rush from one occasion to another. I am already tired from the first weekend of December, having been to five different evening events in three evenings (yes, you may rightly ask; how can you validly do that and actually develop authentic relationship with people as you run around, imbibing drinks and making small talk? That is a GREAT question that I cannot adequately answer).
I am not sure how to balance the Saturnalia/winter solstice-type aspects of our celebration along with the real celebration that is supposed to make this all worthwhile. All the food and drink laid out in its splendour, when the refugee king had nothing more than His mother's breast to feed upon. All the cheer, good will and rosy cheeks - due in no small part from the great Gift that was given to us - but I still long for something deeper, something profoundly good, something that pierces my heart with the absolute, utter greatness of the sentiment of the season. Is this just me?

No comments: