Thursday, December 25, 2008

Peace on earth, goodwill towards men

This actually is not a pithy treatise about the beauty and glory of Christmas (I am so sorry, Jesus, that we have a) created this made-up holiday to celebrate Your birthday, even though You never told us to, and b) that we have made it to be this holiday of getting together and presents and 'family time', rather than about You anyways).
This year, I can understand why some people think Christmas is actually one of the most loneliest and painful times of year. For, you see, there was a big family row today ('cause hell, if you're going to have a family row, the best time to do it would stereotypically be Christmas Day, the day when tradition and media dictate that you must get along with everyone in order to have the most Norman Rockwellian day ever). I thought to myself, I've had enough of these nuts and fruitcakes, I'm going home. Had myself a long hard run, made a cup of tea, and am now contemplating a truly silent night.
Remembering other friends who have told me that the same, haunting skeletons in everyone's closets come out at Christmas (why not Hallowe'en? Wouldn't that make more sense?), or of other friends who tell me they dread getting together with their extended families reminds me that many, if not most, people are not satisfactorily happy on Christmas, even if they do have other people to spend it with (remember, it was Sartre who did note that hell was other people). Sure, it is nice to have a good reason in the deep of winter to see your family members all together, in one place, but I wonder if all the expectation and hype that is associated with the secular aspects of Christmas is worth the trouble. Maybe if there was less pressure on producing the perfect turkey, and more on the saving graciousness of God, maybe we'd get somewhere...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it wasn't the greatest Christmas, or the most holy of Christmas'. But, as the years go by when children are older, and can understand that it's not all about presents, this time of year will become more about HIM than US... but until then, I have to say, my 1st. turkey EVER was good... and I have battle scars to prove I made it :) There is joy, even in the craziest Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Short version: Bah humbug! :)

Question: If you believe that Christmas is a made-up holiday (which it basically is), why are you bothered that it has changed its focus (from Christ to family)? I just find that a little ironic.

While lamentable that families have fights on Christmas Day, what does that say about how family problems are handled the rest of the year? Is that the fault of Christmas? Probably it just makes the problems harder to ignore. I think we should deal with it like Church: we should prepare our hearts before we come together.

One thing I learned from John Lennon: If you can't make peace within your own household, how are you going to promote it in the rest of the world?

julia said...

Wow, that almost sounds judgmental on my own family.

Anonymous said...

I speak for my family as well. The family is like a microcosm of many of the problems we're going to have in the world. If I can't make peace with my liberal sister, how can I expect the liberals and conservatives out there to treat each other respectfully?

I'm not singling your family out, as you mentioned how others expressed solidarity with this experience. I was proposing an explanation for the coincidence of these problems coming up on Christmas Day, and one possible solution. If what you describe is common in so many families, could it be related to how families are on average less close today than they were 20 years ago? Who can take responsibility for that except ourselves?

If you feel my comment was judgmental on your family, I'm sorry. I was speaking in general terms (as were you), using an observation that I believe is also fairly common. I know it's true in many cases. If it doesn't apply to your family, then it cannot be a judgment on your family. If it does apply, then it simply affirms my point. The Western Family is in trouble; a crisis that can be very visible at times like Christmas, has far-reaching implications, and where the solution likely rests in the heart of the individual.