Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day madness

In an ironic twist of events, a family member ended up in hospital today. I don't have any large metaphysical questions as to whether God is capable of punishing us in return for wrongs we have done, or other such related questions. However, seeing as it came rather quickly on the heels of everything else that has recently transpired, one would understandably wonder.
Now, I have only once experienced the patient side of the emergency room previously, but this was crazy! Sure, there were people who clearly did not look well, but there were also clearly people who were lining up who, from eyeballing them clinically, sure didn't look in need of emergency services. Some sure looked like they would have been better suited being in a mall somewhere and shopping.
Myself, having had to work today, mainly saw a whole whack of colds, though almost everyone made it seem like their sniffles were the worst thing to ever inflict a human being ever. I am quite sure I did my bit to make sure the emergency departments weren't overrun by useless consults, but I still question people's judgement. The one, sincerely sick teen that I did see was so ill, I was surprised he was even able to make it across the parking lot, but the mother didn't want to bring him in any earlier, as it was Christmas Day, and then today, he was forced to go to church first before he could go see a doctor. Bah.

No comments: