Thursday, February 19, 2009

In stark contradiction to the last post...

If there is one thing I'm convinced of (though there are many), it is this: If it seems that the whole world is against you, and that everybody is hateful and wrong, and that nobody is being nice to you, and that everything is not going your way, I can only see one common denominator in all of this: YOU.
It is fatiguing to hear people rail about how their family, their employer, their medical providers, absolutely everyone is incompetent/ uncaring/ unreasonable/ etc, while they are the poor victims of everybody else's sadistic and heartless actions. How everything negative going on in their life is everybody else's fault, and they cannot accept any of the responsibility themselves. When it becomes that extreme, I can't help but point out that there is only one thread that binds it all together.
One of my patients, for whom my patience is starting to run thin, regularly comes in every few weeks to yell and rant at me how everybody is letting them down, how nobody is recognizing their needs, how we're all out to get them, medical personnel, friends and employer alike. How I am complicit in all of this, as I have not fixed all their myriad of problems, and have done 'absolutely nothing' to help them. Is there ever any point, that every time, I point out how they have refused to see consultants, how they have refused to take medications, how they have refused to do testing that others have suggested, how they have refused to participate in work rehabilitation, how they have refused to ever be just plain nice? After which, without fail, they state that their problems are actually mine to fix, and I am not taking my responsibility to fix their life seriously. Excuse me?
Let's be clear: I am not your babysitter. I am not your nanny. I am not your mommy. My job is not to fix your life for you when you have broken it yourself. I make strong suggestions and recommendations, and you can take it, or leave it. I will not fight you if you disagree with everything I say, but I certainly would question why you'd bother to keep coming back...

No comments: