Monday, March 23, 2009

Animal testing

My life rarely intersects that of the medical world as a patient. However, when it does, the dazzling array of options is mind-boggling, yet also adds a layer of anxiety; if I need this many tests/ medical professionals/ investigations, how sick am I?
Resolving this year to actually try to see my doctor, my optometrist and my dentist at least once every two years results in not just seeing the person themselves, but, for some reason, also involves additional visits, call-backs, X-rays, other tests, bloodwork, and more investigations! Today, I feel like there must be something wrong with me, as I was booking follow-ups, testing appointments, etc.
I half-wonder if that's supposed to be a sign of aging; the older you get, the more that your life is consumed with a never-ending cycle of going in to see medical professionals. If so, this sucks; I have better things to do with my life.
I kind of understand why some of my patients don't come to see me all that often - I imagine coming in to see me reminds them that they are aging, that they are breaking down, and that ultimately, their mortality will inevitably catch up with them. However, for the regulars, who come in every few weeks, I wonder what that does for them. Does that make them feel more secure that there is another set of eyes watching their crumbling mortality? Do they feel that, under my careful watch, that they will somehow defeat illness just by basking in my glow? If so, they are sadly mistaken; the additional poking and prodding, the investigations and interventions that we provide do not add glorious years of life. I think they rather shrivel the soul, causing us to rely on technology to keep us, barely breathing, barely alive...

No comments: