Thursday, April 11, 2002

Postcards from the Edge of the Sahara II

Well, if you could possibly believe it, it's actually gotten hotter out here today. I don't understand how that is rationally possible. My air-cooler is now blowing out air, cause it can't sustain the temperature gradient necessary to blow cool air. (Here's a funny story, just for Swong, although I'm sure my family will appreciate it too, and likely agree ;) ...)
This morning, I went out to a village while some nurses were doing vaccinations. Unfortunately, it was the first time quite a lot of the little ones had seen someone as pale as me in their lives. I think they must've thought I was some sort of mutant African or something, because they just kept staring and staring. Some babies and toddlers even started crying (I didn't know I was -that- hideous!) and wouldn't stop until they were taken away from my view (after which they got their vaccination and started crying again. Oh well. At least I didn't give any needles; could you imagine the trauma to the children... this pale white mutant monster with slanty eyes comes and bites children with needles, and even your mother can't protect you from it!!!) It was quite strange. I felt like an animal in a zoo or something. Or maybe a movie star... no wait.... zoo animal is probably more likely... I can't believe I made children cry.... maybe it's a good thing I didn't end up going into paediatrics... :)
julia

No comments: