Tuesday, April 23, 2002

Postcards from the Edge of the Sahara VII

Language lesson time!!! Not that I've learned a ton of Hausa since I've been here, but I'll share some of the interesting words that I've learned (not -that- kind of interesting!!!!). Hausa is actually one of the dominant tribal languages in West Africa. It would be a very handy language to learn if you were in this part of the world, although, as one of the missionaries told me, it's not like people are oooooooh impressed with your mastery of Hausa like they would be if you spoke, say, French. Or Arabic.
Sannu (hello; there are some other forms, like when you're speaking to males or females and things, but as I never get the gender pronounciation right, I just keep things simple and just say the gender and age neutral hello)
Lahiya (I'm fine, I'm well, I'm doing OK; this is the right answer to all questions you are asked. For those of you who know that I HATE being asked "How are you?" this takes a bit of teeth-gritting to get through)
kululu (lump, bump, mass. Try saying it fast; it's fun!)
Akwai kululu (there's a bump... in the middle of the log... ha ha ha...)
Ubangiji Allah (LORD God; we usually say this, that way it clearly differentiates Him from the islamic Allah, so none of the patients can be confused as to which God we are referring to)
Aduu'a (prayer - very important word to know on medicine rounds, in the operating room, as well as in church, cause then I know when I'm supposed to bow my head and close my eyes)
That's enough learning for now!
julia
jlee@galmi.sim.ne

No comments: