Saturday, April 20, 2002

Postcards from the Edge of the Sahara V

I got lali-ed yesterday. That's a traditional foot-colouring procedure/ceremony/thing. They use henna, along with cinder ash and ammonia salts to produce this burning sensation on your feet to paint them black. It looks neat on African women, but it's kind of dramatic (like in the scary way) on my pale pale pale skin (did you get the sense that I'm rather pale? I thought I had gotten a bit of a tan, but I still look like I'm incredibly anemic and I'm going to die. I can understand why they think I'm a white person. I am :) ). Now my feet are black and orange, and where the dye didn't hold so well, kind of bluey-green. I'm not sure how long its supposed to last, and I keep on forgetting that I had it done, so I glance down at my feet and wonder why the heck they're so filthy. Makes me think of the engineering tradition with the purple dye (although I only stuck in my arms at that point!)
In other news (although maybe only interesting to Nancy :) )... I haven't eaten so much ice cream in such a short period of time before! I guess there needn't of been any worries about ice cream shortages in the desert... :)
julia

No comments: