Sunday, April 14, 2002

Postcards from the Edge of the Sahara III

I was offered a baby today. I've been offered a couple of husbands, but this is my first baby. Mom got excited when she heard I was from Canada. (Sorry, a bit of medical jargon coming up). It's about two weeks old, 2.6 kg, and it hasn't cried at all since it was born. No Moro, no grasp reflex anywhere, no rooting, barely a sucking reflex. Just breathing. Contracted limbs. Labour was apparently prolonged, about a day or so. We assumed cerebral hypoxia. Baby didn't even react when we were pinching it on the limbs. (OK, medical jargon over).
I mean, my reasoning that 'pas de mari' (no husband) was accepted as a pretty good reason for not taking it, but it was still hard... especially as she had hoped... I think I need to think a little bit more...
Sorry about the downer...
julia

No comments: