Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Isn't She Beautiful? - a reprise

So, a friend's friend's blog had this wonderfully written piece that I wanted to share here... It was an 'oh yes!' moment for me in reading that, in thinking in my heart, 'oh, she is so horrid and so callous and cold, but I am still crazy about her, cause I still believe in the ability for her to get up and change the world'... Here's the site: http://riellymclaren.blogspot.com/2007/01/isnt-she-beautiful.html .... of course, if you're too lazy to click on the link, here's the entry:

I'm sure I've excited some of you. A strange, but telling title for a blog.

I know many of you have been interested in the fruit of my love life as a single guy. Are you curious to know the "she" that is so beautiful? I am aware of your keen interest in finding me the right lady. Your thoughts and attempts have been flattering and appreciated; however, you can rest now.

Search no more. You'd be glad to know that she is indeed very beautiful. Sadly, I didn't always notice her that way. I admit I was a little blind to her; though she was right under my nose all along. I was just caught up in "doing" the things of life, and as such, it prevented me from seeing her. I am just so glad that God opened my eyes to just how beautiful she actually is.

So who is she? I'm sure you are dying to know.

As a matter of fact, I almost considered her ugly before! Not ugly asethetically, she kept up her physical appearance fairly well. On the outside she could be noticeable a times: elegant, polished, witty, and articulate; but inside, oh inside! I percieved to be so ugly. I thought I knew her, she made me angry at times...her behaviour was atrocious! I was just waiting for her to say something embarassing. Have you ever known someone like that? They can seem so beautiful on the outside, but as soon as they open their mouth, it's like they were just beaten with an ugly stick?

What's even worse, people would talk about the horrible things she did before I met her. Her former loves, her failures, her deciet. I would be appalled and speechless, especially when they would ask why I still keep company with her...

I wondered why I kept company with her.

I used to think she was ugly; but isn't she beautiful?

Yesterday night I was just sitting there and admiring her. She smiled at me.

She smiled at my beating heart. My heart, because it was her own.

Many others were admiring her...I wasn't jealous. We all knew her reputation, but admired her nonetheless. We could all sympathize with the ugliness. I, of all people, could sympathize with her.

We saw her beauty, and saw that there is none like her. God made her, and loves her, even when she did go her own way. There was always a part of her that was beautiful, and longed to be everything God made her to be, even when her hands and feet rebelled and left home.

Her beauty is real. She is beautiful. I just had to look.

I saw her in Africa, where she journyed away from video cameras...
she was beautiful.
I saw her in a crack house, where she replaced drugs for jealous love...
she was beautiful.
I saw her in a broken church, where she stopped pretending...
she was beautiful.
I saw her in a mosque, where she openly shared humility, and vulnerability...
she was beautiful.
I saw her in a broken marriage, where she said 'I'm sorry'...
she was beautiful.
I saw her in a seminary, where she wrestled with mystery...
she was beautiful.
And I saw her in a broken heart, where she offered true love...
she was beautiful.

I began to see her everywhere, because she is everywhere.

Isn't she beautiful?
Why is she beautiful?
Because she bleeds divine blood, and bled she has.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I probably wouldn't have realized whom she was until half-way if my suspicion wasn't first aroused.

I liked this part:
"I was just waiting for her to say something embarassing."

While some are zealously fixated on judging her, they excuse themselves from judging their own hearts. Perhaps glimpses of her beauty have provoked a need to focus on her many faults, lest one realize the ugliness in themselves?

Ebarass herself, she does. And she will continue to do so, but not forever.