Tuesday, April 24, 2007

SLKT III

Slipping on the skin of a different culture is incredibly difficult; likely one of the most challenging things one can do, as it is impossible, as a snake can, to shed our skins for another.
One story to illustrate the point: Woman falls down, thinks she broke her arm. Ponders about it for several days, despite the nurse begging her to come and get it looked at and cared for. Decides not to come for care. Decides, instead, to SNORT, not eat, 40 Tylenol #1s. Realizes that this doesn't work too well, and finally shows up five days later, wondering how the arm can be fixed....
Several things that I can't wrap my mind around, among many: a) when one is in pain, doesn't one get bothered by this? b) when one is in pain, doesn't one usually seek comfort or care from other human beings? c) when one is offered care and comfort by another human, especially if they have experience in a similar-type pain, doesn't one usually defer to that knowledge? d) doesn't anybody take medication the way the doctor prescribes it anymore? Where on earth does the idea of snorting prescription medication come from? (I know, I know; ppl have been doing that to Oxy for years now) e) when one breaks a limb, isn't it usually intuitive to get that fixed pronto?
It just makes me shake my head, as it completely defies me as to understand this scenario...

No comments: