Sunday, May 27, 2007

Glory

Boy, so many things and blessings have occurred this weekend, it would be hard to articulate what was all jumbled up in that, however: I think I am feeling more strongly that labels such as conservative/ evangelical/ liberal/ fundamentalist/ radical/ heretical/ left/ right is not how I'd like to be labelled. I would like to be humble enough to free others from those labels as well. I think I just want to follow Jesus. I think I would just like to be known as a Jesus-follower, a foot-washer. That's all. I know I don't do it well most of the time, and I mainly mess it up most of the time, but I think that if the only label I ever get is that of Jesus-freak, that would be enough for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I've been feeling this alot recently, too!

This isn't exactly what you were talking about, but for myself, identifying with a particular political label has done its share in closing my mind to a more comprehensive understanding. It's not just that I pre-judge those whom I label, but my own thinking tends to conform to the label with which I identify! I find I've been more obstinate the more I identified with a group, and the more obstinate, the more I tend to forget the character of Christ.

Using labels like "Evangelical" has also allowed me to conveniently associate with qualities that perhaps I don't actually have in such great proportions (and consequently ignore them). It is like claiming I'm a good servant when I'm not. Even to the extent I call myself "Christian", I may in fact be a very poor Christian. Perhaps I've been hiding behind the label.

I guess descriptives are better. I am Saved. I am Justified. I am in Christ, but as far as following Christ is concerned, it may only be correct to say that I rely on Him for all those things.