Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Amusing ourselves to death (apologies to Postman)

I hadn't realized I hadn't posted for quite a while. Nothing particularly much to note, as I was working out of town. However, when I do go out of town to work, it's the only opportunity I have to actually watch television. (Incidentally, as a complete aside, I heard on the radio today that the larger plasma HDTVs use four times more power than conventional television sets. That's a lot. It makes me wonder, as people are clamouring to get these admittedly impressive machines, how it's going to affect power usage in the next few years).
I must say, I still cannot understand how people have time to watch television, especially for hours at a time. I am also concerned about the quality of what is actually available. I am not sure of the appeal. To me, television, for the most part, appears to be a mind-numbing, intelligence-sucking, vacuous form of being comatose. I know, I've watched my fair share of cartoons and such growing up, but I just find that there's not much to see.
And really, don't get me started on movies, as that is a whole other topic. A social outing where you sit in the dark with your friends, such that you can't talk to them or see them for hours, and then you go home. Fun.

No comments: