Thursday, January 01, 2009

An anti-New Year's resolution

Now that 2008 is over, my self-imposed clothing fast is over. That is to say, I am now allowed to go and buy clothing of all kinds again, from socks to cardigans. Now, the fact of being abroad isn't going to change that status anytime soon, and besides, I'm not the type to be chomping at the bit to get to the mall. Furthermore, I haven't really missed shopping much anyways, since I'm kind of the antithesis to a clothing horse.
You'd think that a girl, living in North America, giving up her ability to buy any new clothing for a year would be something that would be broadcast on television, or at least broker a book deal or something, about how she endured such trials and what she learned. What I suppose I did learn: I don't really need new clothes, not unless the old ones are unmendable, or unwearable. Not having to go clothing shopping saves a lot of time. There are many other ways to bond with your girlfriends than spending a day at the mall. You can stay unfashionable long enough to become fashionable again. Beauty that depends on how I'm dressed is a pretty shallow beauty, and I desire to cultivate a deeper beauty than that. I acknowledge that clothes do indeed make the man, and as a society, we do judge people's worth and merit based on how they look, perhaps a little bit too much, however, well-dressed people really do look well put-together (yes, yes, though it's still shallow). Like any addiction, once you break it, and are used to the new lifestyle, it's not that hard to stay clean. (OK, so I didn't have an addiction, but I certainly find I'm not even tempted by 70% off really cute shirts anymore).
I think that I will replace some of my socks that have gotten a bit hole-y over the year, but I am not entirely convinced there's anything else that needs space in my closet as of yet. I'm still not going to volunteer to go for a day of mall-shopping either.
So, for 2009, I resolve to let myself go shopping. Shrug. No biggie.

1 comment:

Q said...

Shame on you.... for managing to make me feel (slightly) guilty. I wanted to keep an eye out for cute, light wool socks the next time I'm near a suitable vendor. What to do now? Invite Julia to join me!!! :)