Thursday, January 12, 2006

Thailand

Well, we only spent about 24 hours in the country, and none of it in Bangkok, except to transfer flights. I don't think my posts are going to be very articulate today; I may re-edit them later when I'm a little less sleepy... However, we did go to this elephant farm in northern Thailand... it's not so much a farm as it is a bit of a circus. It's where the 'world-famous' elephant paintings come from. And, admittedly, Asian elephants are very cute. Basically, a whole freaking herd of elephants live here, entertaining tourists with their antics and their paintings, and you can ride them and admire the babies, etc. VERY CUTE. But also, very sad. Some of the younger elephants (presumably still under training) were chained around the neck and foot, I suppose, to keep them from stamping on people. It is very strange and humiliating, being entertained by slaves, and yet enjoying it... I wonder if this is how other cultures allowed themselves to enslave others... I also wonder at how much these beasts had to be subjugated when they were younger to forget that they have incredible power and beautiful potential for wildness....
PS. Didn't eat pad thai here. Will have to return.

No comments: