Saturday, March 11, 2006

American-style

This week, I received my (I think) first direct-mail advertising from a private clinic in the USA. I'm not sure if I should be puzzled, grateful, or deeply insulted. A nice, slick brochure, explaining the services offered there, that might meet the needs of my Canadian patients, who may not be able to access such care in a timely manner here. It looks like a nice place. Certainly, people who can afford care do already indeed head south for quicker service. However, I wonder at the ethics about directly sending me information to share with my patients. Doesn't this start undermining my belief in the Canadian system (well, such as my belief is)? Is that my job, to push people south when they can't access care in a timely manner here? Certainly, I've had (obviously) rich people, who, for relatively minor complaints, weren't happy with the suggestion that they may have to wait several months to see someone; instead, they inform me that they will hop a plane the next day and go down to the States to get the care that they want, not the care that they may need, or is warranted under the circumstances. However, that becomes their perogative, not my suggestion.
Strange thoughts that come in the mail...

No comments: