Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Snowbirds hitting the fan

What is with these people?? Canadians often wonder why our health care appears to be going to hell in a handbasket and/or why family doctors appear to run their clinics late; I am coming to the conclusion that those who ponder such thoughts are usually the ones that cause the problem. Cases in point:
1. I had a patient, who I had never met, repeatedly call the clinic and harass the secretaries to speak to me... from FRANCE. Finally, not being able to take it anymore, they pulled me out of my clinic to speak to this patient. Appears he was on vacation, and had gone to a French emergency room, where they ALREADY had diagnosed and managed a problem that he had. However, he insisted that he needed to talk to his doctor to find out whether he should insist on being medevac'd home to be seen in the family medicine office (?!?!? Yeah, I'm sure his insurance company would be thrilled on sending a paramedic team to France just to get a guy to his doctor's appointment...), as he wasn't sure whether that was good enough care... in FRANCE.
2. I had another guy, who I had also never met before, repeatedly harass my secretaries again... from ENGLAND. Same scenario, but this guy says, "Hey, I'm on vacation in ENGLAND. I'm feeling naseous... do you think I'm having a stroke?" (I nearly had a stroke. Firstly, for calling freaking long distance while on vacation in a country with perfectly excellent health care, secondly, for asking me to falsely reassure him, never having met the man, or knowing anything about his medical history so that he could assuage his own conscience and not bother to interrupt his precious vacation time by going to see a doctor, after which he would then die and then I'd get sued for providing poor medical advice?? Who the heck did he think he was?) After explaining nausea could also be a symptom of pregnancy, I told him if he was concerned, he should go seek medical attention.
3. A telephone message left for me (these cases are all the more perplexing when you consider the fact that talking to patients on the phone, when it is not an emergency takes precious time away from patients who have actually bothered to come in, who DESERVE to have their appointments kept on time): I collapsed a few days ago. Do you think I'm sick? (What? What am I supposed to do with that? Why the heck didn't he go to the emergency department at the time?)
4. Another message left for me: I'm back from vacation, and I was constipated the whole time (and this is my problem, exactly, why???)
5. Another message left for me: I'm in Ottawa for the week, and I think I've got a yeast infection: Could you please phone in a prescription to this pharmacy in Ottawa? (Excuse me? Who do you think you are? Why the hell would I prescribe a medication for someone I have never seen for a disease I haven't even diagnosed? There are things called walk-in clinics that could see you if you really wanted to see a doctor, and, guess what? You can buy that stuff over the counter, idiot who has a drug plan...)
I cannot believe the self-centredness and sense of entitlement that plagues city people...

No comments: