Monday, July 23, 2007

Goodbye, Ralph....

It struck me, watching a movie with a friend of mine the other evening, how odd the depiction is when women leave their husbands. For some reason, whenever in a movie a woman decides to leave, she never goes with anything more than a tiny little suitcase. You know the ones; those small little handbag-sized suitcases, big enough to hold two sweaters and a pair of shoes. She may also perhaps have her purse, and maybe a small dog, but that's it. Then, she usually has some parting words as she's heading out to the taxi, like, "Goodbye", or "I can't take this anymore, I'm leaving", or "I loved you once", or some such thing.
This strikes me as odd, as I was thinking, if I was going to leave, I believe I'd have a lot more than just two sweaters and a pair of shoes to take with me. Perhaps I'd need a U-Haul to take my stuff. Or perhaps I wouldn't need that much space at all - maybe my car trunk would do. However, this doesn't alter the fact that women have a lot of stuff - there's hardly enough room in those suitcases for adequate toothpaste/ shampoo/ toothbrush/ towel packing for just doing the basic hygiene things, once they get to their destinations in the taxicabs. So then I thought, perhaps in the movies, these women don't have to worry about those kinds of things. Or, perhaps the suitcases, in fact, don't hold two sweaters and a pair of shoes; maybe they just stuff them full of money, and then they leave.... I then also thought, "In the movies, do women who are planning on leaving their husbands specifically go out on a shopping excursion to find those kinds of suitcases?", for I imagined that it's not the usual household item to have; it's not a terribly useful sized suitcase for any other kind of travel, except for husband-leaving...
This of course, conversely, always strikes me in the movies that whenever this occurs, the husband usually stands there, relatively dumbstruck, and just watches her leave and get into the taxicab. How come they never say anything? I find movie archetypes very strange...

No comments: