Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A house is not a home...

One of the things that I have wrestled with is the notion of what authentic community actually looks like - I think the longer I think about it, the less sense it makes to me. And then, I get tired of thinking, and temporarily decide it's not even worth fighting for. In discussion with old friends from Germany, I briefly realized community could potentially exist, as tenuous as it may be, despite distance. Or perhaps, it was more that, despite the miles and miles, and the infrequent contact, sometimes one is graced with flickers of light. This is also combined with thought (of course) about the nature of culture and the role that it plays in the structure and form of community.
With all this thinking, and the tangents that flow from this, I tend to lapse into periods where I just can't be bothered... I suppose this is the dilemma between passion and apathy... or perhaps, more accurately, passion without wisdom can't sustain itself??? (darn those Afghanis!)

No comments: