Monday, September 10, 2007

A third of my Bible was written by terrorists and murderers

A big concern that I have been thinking about today is just how much does it take to love someone, let alone a whole planet of people? I think it is hard to even begin to imagine having a big enough heart to see that everybody, absolutely everyone, is not beyond redemption, is not beyond hope, is not beyond the beyond. Not just the people I like, or the people in my socio-economic-cultural-racial class, but everyone, from the very great to the very small.
This is a difficult teaching from Jesus, I must say. I think we Jesus-followers have been held back by our lack of love. I'm not sure how we can capture a bigger vision; shoot - I can hardly figure out how to better love the ones that are sitting around me. I sincerely apologize to those who read this, thinking that Christianity is a bunch of crap, 'cause sometimes, when I look at it, I think that too. I can understand why it would be seen that way - I'm still petty and shrill and ridiculous, and don't demonstrate well God's vision for how life was meant to be, and on my part, I apologize. I'm not quite sure how to get over that roadblock, but I do know God's vision is BIG! and His love is lavish. Trying to scope that down, and demonstrate that through me is a daunting task, for I am small, and my love is very limited...

No comments: