Monday, February 18, 2008

Bye bye, baby...

I think I can't help but be pessimistic about the future of humankind after I go through a stint of delivering a lot of babies for completely dysfunctional families. I think after a parade of a motley crew of various drug addicted, very young and immature, very old and overly anxious (think bubble wrap/helicopter parents), abused AND abusive, raped, rude, irresponsible, uneducated and unaware of the awesome responsibility they're about to undertake, uncaring and selfish women and their families, I get quite discouraged of the future generation of children that we are creating. I suppose this is a monster of our own making.
Not that the Church gets away from it either; I think some pat themselves on the back that -we- are doing a better job, or that -our- children will do much better, for we will put them in better schools, teach them to eat better and take full advantage of the middle-class banality of what presents as most modern-day Christianity.
However, these are still ALL our children; we are still responsible for them, and we are responsible for the society that shapes them into who they become. To write them off as 'not ours' is a crying shame.
I can't help shedding a tear sometimes for some of these babies as I hand them off to their families and God-knows what kind of life and future ahead of them... and all I can do for them is give them a blessing before they go...

No comments: