Sunday, February 03, 2008

Luckily, Truth is a diamond, not a line...

It's funny how in retrospect, you can see how your views about certain matters change. When you can clearly remember from what facet you would approach an issue, and then realize that, a few months, a year, later your facet has changed entirely. And yet, I cannot pinpoint exactly what caused the shift in perspective.
There are lots of examples of this in the journey of my faith, that, even a year ago, my views would be incompatible with what I understand now. Finding truth, and Truth, in 'unexpected places', does that. I suspect also reintegrating faith back into reality also helps - not allowing it to run in a dimension all its own, but to see that it conforms to the norms and patterns of what makes sense as well. I think also (even though I am a few decades late) coming to accept that I am a product of this culture, this generation, and I do need to speak into that, and not desperately hold onto models and ideas that made sense generations ago...

1 comment:

Ten Minas Ministries said...

Truth is funny that way.

My name is Ken and I came across your blog through some of our shared interests. I think some of the problems people have with what they believe to be "true" is that they never stop to ask why they believe what they do. If they are honest with themselves, they believe something because their peer group does, or someone they hold in high regard told it to them and they never bothered to question it.

Your comment about truth conforming "to the norms and patterns of what makes sense" reminds me of the correspondence theory of truth; in other words, defining truth as what corresponds to reality. I agree that this has to be one test by which we measure truth (the other being the coherence theory; i.e., truth must cohere, it must be logically consistent). God bless.