Tuesday, February 05, 2008

That's Dr. Handywoman to you, buster...

So today, I kind of learned the basics of how to change faucets, replace toilets, fix leaking taps and repair drywall. I think that's mighty impressive. It's been kind of sad how I've been a bit of a 'damsel in distress', seeking men I know to help me fix problems around the house. Admittedly, they've all been awesome, and most of them are actually professionals in their area of expertise. However, there's something a bit empowering in unearthing some of the magic and mythology around basic plumbing and home repair. Now, I am no wizard in this domain, certainly not even an apprentice, but I do feel like I learned some useful tips. Whether I'm brave enough to hazard them on my own is something entirely else...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Feels great, doesn't it? :)

Even for a guy, you can feel helpless sometimes and resigned just to let someone else do it if you've never touched it before. I usually would never touch the inside of my car, or a gas-powered machine. Lately though, I've been doing a few things myself, like changing a car battery, or adjusting a belt on an outdoor appliance, and saving myself $100s. I kinda feel the empowerment too, but in my case I guess I also feel more like a man.