Monday, August 25, 2008

No Listeria for me, thank you very much...

As I was eating breakfast this morning (at a leisurely pace, as there is no work to run to today, PTL), I was listening to the radio and the widening circle of processed food products that are being recalled by Maple Leaf Foods.
I thought to myself, boy, I've totally dodged that bullet, in looking at my breakfast. I'm going to use it as an illustration as to why eating 'close to the source' gives you a fighting chance that you won't end up with some crazy, weird disease, just from trying to nourish yourself.
I had an egg omelette on a bagel. The bagel was toasted, from frozen, from the dozen that I picked up in Montreal last time I was there. From the small, though famous, bagel store in Montreal; not from some huge conglomerate of unknown bakers and packagers. The eggs were from Harlan, possibly the most famous egg-man in all of Ontario. The garlic, from Alan and Wendy, some of the few Ontario garlic producers left in the province. The peppers were from Ontario, but I bought them from Fiesta Farms, so I don't actually know who grew them. The tomatoes: from my balcony, courtesy of Colette's seeds and my compost. And that was breakfast; pretty much all of it could be traced back to actual names and places. If I should happen to get sick, I'd know who to contact, or whose produce it was. The disturbing stat that in one piece of baloney could be the parts and pieces of up to ONE THOUSAND different animals from God-knows-where is enough to make you want to vomit anyways...

No comments: