Thursday, January 15, 2009

England III

I'm sorry that I haven't written all that much, but there really hasn't been much more to say about what I've been up to. To say that I feel a bit like Rapunzel is a bit of an understatement.
One thing, that I'm not sure if I've ever noted about the British before is just their incredible reservedness. Since I've been here, I have yet had a British national introduce themselves to me, or talk to me at all, which is odd, since we have communal meals together. Apparently, it is not really in their culture to introduce themselves to strangers, and they won't talk to someone they haven't actually been formally introduced to. This, of course, has been difficult, as I haven't actually officially met any British people yet, so it is difficult for me to be introduced to anyone else. It's like this awful Catch-22 where you can't meet anyone because you haven't met anyone.
That being said, the most obvious cultures that have embraced me and made me feel welcome here are the Americans, the Koreans and the Brazilians (and combinations thereof). Not surpringly that they are all here, in light of the powerhouses they all are for Good News and Kingdom work, but also not surprising in how garrulous their cultures are, and how open and welcoming that they all are as peoples.
I suppose this is a good place to interject that there are strengths and weaknesses in each culture, and so to paint the picture thusly is not necessarily utterly fair. However, all I can say is praise God for cultures that like people a lot, otherwise I'd have an awful lot of wandering the halls here, wondering what the hell to do with myself...

1 comment:

Canadi-Ann said...

That's no way to treat a top notch volunteer like yourself! They should thank you.