Saturday, June 30, 2007

Food, glorious food

What an awfully nice event... I did, in fact, manage to get to Il Fornello recently. Certainly, I didn't explain why, but here's the reasoning. In the effort to promote sustainability in our food chains, and support our rapidly diminishing agricultural sector, this restaurant has started a menu that is made EXCLUSIVELY out of Ontario produce - how exciting! This would probably compose the most exciting thing that I could think of that one could do for food.
At any rate, it was a fabulous dinner. Started with a chilled sweet potato soup, garnished with goat's cheese, had a rib eye steak (gasp! My first taste of cow in about 2 years! We even have photographic evidence of me ingesting cow! It was terribly anti-climactic - I had even forgotten what beef had tasted like, and I really can't understand what the big hoopla over beef is... though ordered and eaten, as it was from a farm that I know and trust, so now I'm good for another, oh, 5-10 years now...) with spring aspgaragus, finished off with a gorgeous strawberry shortcake (all the more sweet in knowing that the aspgaragus and strawberry seasons are within their very last gasps)!
Ironically, as much as I would've liked to have paired this meal with a nice Baco Noir or Cabernet, they didn't actually have Niagara wines available for purchase by the glass, which I found odd.
Highly recommended, if only to demonstrate that care for sustainability in our food chains is important to you...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, their Ontario menu probably doesn't include salmon from Ontario (:>) so I wouldn't be able to order the pasta with salmon and snow peas that I always liked there...but kudos to Il Fornello for taking a positive step! And you went 2 years without eating beef?!?