Monday, June 25, 2007

Hollywood twaddle

Now, it's well known that I am totally not big on celebrity and blockbusters and the like, but, due my love and profound respect for some friends, I went to go see that Silver Surfer movie yesterday. Let's be clear: It's because I love my friends that I went - sometimes one will sacrifice much for love.
I am generally completely baffled by the entertainment industry: is it really that entertaining to have illogical, poorly conceived plotlines acted out by characters that have the depth of a microchip? As I was saying to someone yesterday, entertainment (and it's precursor, art) should be responsible. Art was (and is) always conceived to be the plumb line for the depths of the human condition, to encourage its nobleness, to exhilarate with its beauty, to lay bare the soul. This (sorry! but it's true) crap that gets churned out to be fed to the masses like some over-processed corn feed at the trough is not art, does not ennoble, does not elevate, does not make us better people. Brainless twaddle, it is.
I think someone much wiser than I put it better: "Finally, brothers (and sisters), whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."
Sigh. Paul has such a way with words. Now that's art...

No comments: