Friday, October 12, 2007

Aretha Franklin needed!

One dilemma that I don't think I've had to work through before is: What do you do if, for various reasons, you've lost all respect for someone you once held in very high esteem? Not insofar as they've fallen off a pedestal; rather, very large paintcans full of flaws have covered the otherwise Pollock-style painting of their life... Of course, it's not an issue where there's hate or disgust, just an utter lack of respect... How does one deal with that in integrity? I realize, for the most part, I tend to think the best of most people, until they demonstrate otherwise, which, I suppose, sets me up for disappointment when they can't fulfill such imagined roles. I don't think that that is really the case this time: instead, I think it becomes very hard to look someone in the eye when you just can't bear to look... It makes me wonder how the congregants of Haggard managed to redeem and restore...

No comments: