Sunday, October 28, 2007

So, who's the minority, exactly?

One of the things I've been noticing, since I've been trying to ride The Better Way more often, are the advertisements. The last few times I've been riding, I've been walking up and down the subway car, counting the models in the advertisements. On my non-scientific survey, I have noted that >85% of all the human models depicted in TTC ads are white. Which, of course, means for the rest of us, we only make up <15% of the representation. This, I find particularly odd in a city that is >50% visible "minorities"...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could go even further. What portion of the white population are even that thin and good-looking? Aren't more than half of North Americans either overweight or obese?

Not to belittle your observation of TO ads, but even in Hong Kong there are more white people on ads than on the streets. Maybe it's not just sex that sells..maybe white people sell too?!? :p