Sunday, February 19, 2006

Aphorisms

There are many cliche truisms, several of which I have heard repeated over the last little while. One is, when it rains, it pours. In this week alone, I have encountered five people struggling with (previous and present) adulterous partners, two very ill little children, a miscarriage, and someone who needs neurosurgery (and this doesn't include patients, cause that's not fair; including patients would staggeringly increase the number of sorrowing people all the time). I suppose it's to give me a bit of perspective on myself, to tell me that other people have experiences similar to mine, though for me, it simply increases the grandeur of sorrow and pain.
The second is, life is not fair. I don't know how many millions of billions of times I've heard that said. Though it may be a truism, that is no reason that we should resign ourselves to such things, for He has overcome the world.
For though there is much I do not know about God, one thing I know for certain: that He is indeed a God of justice. That though things may not appear fair, for now, they will be retributed and redistributed in due time. There is great comfort in that; that the oppressor will be brought low, that the weak and the sorrowing will overcome the mighty and the powerful- those with 'hand'. That ultimately, those that hurt, maim, wreak havoc on others, destroy, will indeed be brought to justice.
I try not to be overly joyful in that; facing the wrath of God cannot be a picnic. And certainly, I recognize all of us, in some measure, will indeed face the wrath of God; I think just being a wealthy Westerner alone will cause God to come down hard on me, let alone my other myriads of faults and shortcomings. Yes, I have been trying not to rejoice too heartily in that vengeance belongs to the LORD, and that He shall repay in His own time, for I know I myself shall repay. However, missing part of my very flesh will eventually demand a pound of its own, despite Shylock's protestations. It's not meant in anger; simply a statement of fact. Certainly, some had suggested various legal and medical methods of exacting my own vengeance, though thoughts that are entertaining to consider, and, perhaps in due time, may be pursued in their own way, are probably wrong.

No comments: