Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A sea of granite and marble

What is a curious phenomenon is how people define sorrow, or, at least, perceive how they emphathize with others' pain. I think it is honestly difficult to understand where another is coming from, particularly when they are lost and swirling in the depths of despair, but I also note that, for some, it becomes an opportunity for counter-transference, to bring to mind issues that plague their own minds as well. Isn't that curious? It turns the table on those who are dying; they, instead of receiving life sustenance and nourishment, must bring succour to the medic. It is selfish in nature. Certainly, it demonstrates to me that when I do the same, that I must bring healing to the hurt, and not bring my own wounds into the picture. It's strange how certainly I would never dare do this in my clinical work, but, thinking back, perhaps I have been guilty of this phenomenon myself. Particularly where I am both the healer and the one who caused the wound.
If I am the one to cause injury, who am I to dwell on my own wounds? If I struck a blow at my loved one, who am I to then talk of all the thrashing that I've received from other sources? Do I weep for myself, or for my beloved (beloved being either gender)? I think if I do that, then I steal from my beloved, I demonstrate my lack of compassion and mercy, I kill their dignity and their soul, and live the lie that they are cared for. It is not a life-affirming manner of dealing with loved ones, but I suppose if I am demonstrating the lie that they are cared for, then I suppose affirming life isn't exactly one of my priorities for them... I'll have to ponder about this some more...

No comments: