Sunday, February 05, 2006

Chang geum, or, my parents have lost it...

OK, so I know it's kind of past the 'trendy' mark for Chinese people, but my parents have finally discovered the joys of Korean chapter movies... though, at least, they're watching it in the original Korean. It's really nice, and kind of funny, to see them just plain old liking these movies as least as much as Chinese people that I know. However, my parents have this idea that if I sit and watch with them, I'll somehow learn more Korean by osmosis. Firstly, there's no subtitles on the discs we have. Secondly, they're obsessed; they're watching 5-7 episodes a DAY.
This is the usual attempt that occurs when they ask me to watch with them:
I oblige and sit down, and begin to watch a movie that I understand very little to nothing about what is going on.
Me: "Hey, what just happened there? I just heard something about the king..."
Them: "Shush! You're interrupting the movie! Just listen to the movie!"
Me: "But I don't understand what they're talking about! I'm listening, but no comprehension is occurring...."
Them: "Shhhhh!"
Me: "This is ridiculous. I don't understand what's going on. I'm going upstairs...."
Them: "Hey! Where are you going? How are you going to learn Korean if you don't watch the movie? This is part of your culture! Hey! Hey..... oh, wait, something's happening"... and then their attention rivets back to the screen. It really is quite funny. This has occurred on several attempts since I've been back, so now they're way too engrossed to barely even acknowledge when I return home :) . I've been relegated to asking Chinese people what happens in these movies so I know what the plot line basically is... :)
Next time, we've got to get something with English subtitles.

No comments: